NCERT DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS 2019
Table of Contents
NCERT DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS
The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) is an autonomous organization set up by the Government of India to advise and assist the Ministry of Human Resource Development at the center, and Education Departments of States/Union Territories in formulation and implementation of their policies and major programmes in the field of education, particularly for qualitative improvement of school education.
The major constituent units of the NCERT are:
(1) National Institute of Education (NIE), New Delhi,
(2) Central Institute of Educational Technology (CIET), New Delhi,
(3) Pandit Sunderlal Sharma Central Institute of Vocational Education (PSSCIVE), Bhopal,
(4) Regional Institute of Education (RIE), Ajmer,
(5) Regional Institute of Education, Bhopal,
(6) Regional Institute of Education, Bhubaneswar,
(7) Regional Institute of Education, Mysore, and
(8) North-East Regional Institute of Education (NERIE), Shillong.
Among several activities, the NCERT and its constituent units undertake, aid, promote and coordinate research in areas related to school education.
The NCERT has brought out National Curriculum Framework 2005 (NCF-2005), which has enabled a fresh discourse and new ideas on education in India. With a focus on the child, NCF-2005 stresses the need for a perspective on how children learn and environments to enable this process within larger concerns of equality and justice in a democratic society.
The document further emphasizes the understanding of curricular and pedagogic practices, and social and cultural factors that influence and mediate these processes in diverse contexts.
There is a need to develop a body of knowledge that enhances our understanding of the concerns expressed in NCF-2005. Towards this end, the NCERT intends to offer fellowships, named as NCERT Doctoral Fellowships, for conducting research at the doctoral level.
Objectives of the Scheme
(a) To provide opportunities to young scholars to research the field of education from different disciplinary perspectives.
(b) To build the knowledge base of education in the contemporary context.
Scope of the Scheme
The NCERT Doctoral Fellowships are intended to enable young scholars to pursue doctoral research in education and other related disciplines. Doctoral Fellows can pursue their work in a recognized university/research institution of their choice. The NCERT encourages original thinking in conceptualization of the problem and use of innovative methodology in conduct of the research related to school education.
Priority Areas :
Fellowship will be given for research pertaining to the following priority areas:
Teacher Educators’ Education: Quality of pre-service and in-service teacher education programs, challenges and opportunities in teacher training, Review and Revision of curriculum/syllabi, assessment process of pre-service training, possible changes in practices teaching, models of teacher training, deterioration in training process. Internship issues related to teacher education, qualitative improvement in teachers and teacher educators, issues related to admission and recruitment of teacher educators.
Education of the Disadvantaged: Disadvantages of different kinds because of belonging to scheduled castes/scheduled tribes and backward castes, and minority communities, and due to gender, disability, and living in difficult circumstances.
Classroom Processes and Practices: Multi-grade teaching, over-crowded classrooms, medium of instruction, languages used in the class, teaching-learning process, teacher concerns, evaluation practices, disciplinary techniques, and space and time management.
Curricular Areas: Teaching of Science, Mathematics, Language, Social Sciences, Arts and Crafts, Work and Vocational Education, Environmental Sciences, and Health and Physical Education.
Education for Peace: Conflict and its resolution in different spheres, problem of violence, respect for cultural diversity, values for living in harmony with people and nature, child rights, and sustainable development.
Psycho-social Development of Children: Development of self, relationships and social skills, understanding and cognitive skills, communications skills, leadership, decision-making and copying with stress.
Any Burning Issue in School Education
This will be judged on the basis of concept note/synopsis submitted by the candidate with their application. The candidate should clearly state how does the proposed research relates to above priority areas.
1. Good Academic record with at least 60% marks at both Graduate and Post Graduate Levels.
2. Candidates should not be more than 35 years of age as on the last date of receipt of applications.
3. Candidates registered for Ph.D. degree in a recognized university/ or working toward their Ph.D. registration are eligible to apply.
1. Four out of 10 fellowships are reserved for 4 Regional Institutes of Education (RIEs) one each for Ajmer, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar and Mysore. However, if no candidate from RIEs is found suitable, the fellowship will be offered to other suitable candidates.
2. The fellowships will be limited to extremely deserving candidates only. If suitable candidates are not available, Council may not select all 10 Fellows.
3. Candidate applying for Doctoral Fellowship should have either completed predoctoral research methodology course or enrolled/selected for such course for appropriate duration as approved by UGC. The fellowship will start after completion of the course and confirmed registration with the University for Ph.D. work.
4. Each Doctoral Fellow will be required to present a seminar at the end of each semester.
5. The NCERT Doctoral Fellow will be required to contribute to the RIE teaching programme, field research and/or the curriculum development and textbook development programmes of NCERT for 30 days in a year. The Fellow will be provided III AC fare for the travel, and accommodation in the RIE hostel.
6. The Doctoral Fellow will be under obligation to present public lecture on larger issues of public interest relevant to his/her doctoral research work, if so invited. The seminar may be held at RIEs or NCERT headquarter and the fellows will be given the III AC fare for travel for the same. `
7. The candidate will submit with their applications, the CV of the research supervisor which should clearly indicate the research work done by them in the last five years. NCERT reserves the right to advise the candidate to chose a new research supervisor if needed. The candidate may select a supervisor/research guide approved by NCERT. The fellowship of the last three months and contingency of the third year will be released only after receipt of the thesis.
The procedure for short listing of applicants will be designed by NCERT. Shortlisted candidates will be required to appear for an interview, which may also include presentation of the proposals. Candidates will be paid second (sleeper) class train fare by the shortest route for attending the interview-cum-seminar.
Reservation of Seats
The statutory provisions for reservation of seats will be applicable to the candidates belonging to different categories.
NCERT Doctoral Fellows will receive a fellowship of Rs.23,000/- per month (for Non-NET) and Rs.25,000/- per month (in case of NET qualified candidates) for a maximum period of three years from the date of permanent Ph.D. registration and/or date of selection in NCERT. They will also receive a contingency grant of Rs.10,000/- per annum during this period.
The fellowship will commence from the date of joining by the candidate after furnishing the documents of permanent Ph.D. registration in NCERT and will terminate at the end of three years from the date of joining or with the submission of the doctoral thesis whichever is earlier.
Disbursement of Fellowship
The NCERT will credit the monthly fellowship to the savings bank account of the Fellow. For this, each Fellow will be required to submit a ‘Certificate of Attendance and Satisfactory Work Performance’ to NCERT on a quarterly basis. Release of the monthly fellowship from second quarter onwards will be subject to receipt of the said certificate.
Annual contingency grant to the extent of actual expenditure incurred but not more than Rs.10,000/- per annum will be credited to the account of the Fellow after receipt and scrutiny of the bills/vouchers submitted by the fellow duly signed and countersigned by the supervisor and Head of the Department.
Monitoring of Work
Doctoral Fellows will be required to submit six monthly progress reports duly forwarded by their supervisors/Head of the Department and Research Advisors to NCERT. A Committee of Experts will review the progress. Also a research colloquium will be held annually where Fellows will present the progress of their research. If the progress of the research is found unsatisfactory, NCERT reserves the right to terminate the fellowship at any point of time.
Leave rules as prescribed in case of UGC Junior Research Fellowship will be applicable. Further, NCERT Doctoral Fellows will not accept any other remunerative assignment during the period of fellowship.
Publication of the Thesis
After the award of Ph.D. degree, the Doctoral Fellows will be required to submit a Hard bound copy of the thesis (along with a CD) to NCERT. NCERT will consider publication of the completed research in an appropriate form. The Fellow can apply for permission to publish his/her work elsewhere.
Application should be filled in the prescribed format available on the NCERT website (www.ncert.nic.in). Completed application forms should be accompanied by a concept paper of about 1500 words on the theme of the proposed research, which should contain statements about
(a) rationale and objectives of the study,
(b) conceptual framework,
(c) proposed methodology, and
(d) potential contribution of the study. Attested copies of all mark sheets/certificates and proof of Ph.D. registration (if already registered) should also be sent with the application at the following address:
Division of Educational Research,
Room No.14, 3rd Floor, Zakir Husain Block,
National Council of Educational Research and Training,
Sri Aurobindo Marg,
New Delhi – 110 016
The last date of receiving completed application is one month from the publication of the advertisement in the newspaper (Around December 6, 2019)
More PhD Scholarship
Tags: ncert fellowship 2020, ncert teacher training, ncert department, ncert courses, ncert bed, ncert net, ncert .nic, ntse der ncert